Saturday, September 24, 2005

Houston, Saturday, September 24, 1:45 am

SARAH: Sarah again. I think we're between storm bands; things seem to have settled down for the moment. So far we've gotten a lot of wind but not too much rain. No flooding on the road as of yet. The trees are blowing around pretty violently at times, but I'm not seeing any branches down or any debris. Obviously, we still have power and internet.

Houston is currently getting wind speeds between 35-40 mph. Those numbers are expected to increase through the morning as Rita makes landfall and the outer bands move over us.

Mom and Dad are asleep in the guest room with their dogs while Clint and Charley are sacked out in front of the TV. I'm going back to bed to try to get some sleep; hopefully we'll still be able to report in the morning. If this is the clean side of a storm, I don't think I ever want to ride out the dirty side. Listening to the wind is just nerve-wracking.